DMC How are the fuel injector suppose to work in this system?

DMC How are the fuel injector suppose to work in this system?

Hi All,

Not having played with this type of injection system before I'm not sure
of what I'm looking at concerning how the fuel injectors are supposed to
work.

I've finally gotten around to hooking the fuel lines back up on #4337.
Long story short, from what I can deduce and from what I've been told from
previous owners (#2 and #3, I'm #4), the car sat around with water
throughout its fuel lines for the better part of ten years.
Suffice it to say a lot of parts have been replaced.

Using kerosene (less explosive fumes to contend with), I unhooked the
fuel pump and wired a 12V battery across it (happen to be more convenient
at the time than bypassing via the fuse box, etc.) and watched for what
kind of crud came through.

Then came the check for leaks around the distributor, etc.
Mostly out of curiosity, I pulled two injectors out and ran the pump again.
Both injectors emitted a thin stream (not a spray) of fluid.
Just to test the injectors themselves I went ahead and pressed down on the
airflow sensor and got a nice spray pattern (yeah, I know the catalytic is
probably going to love me for that).
I was lead to believe that with the airflow sensor completely closed (as in
the case with the engine not running) no fuel should make it's way to the
injectors. Is this true?
Is the distributor supposed to allow raw fuel into the intake or is there a
problem stemming from either of the following:
1) Central fuel plunger valve (sorry, don't know the correct name for it)
in the fuel distributor is bad?
2) The 12V battery I used couldn't work the pump up to around 65psi thereby
not charging the system with enough fuel pressure for the plunger and other
associated components to function properly?
3) Fuel filter was significantly plugged up to restrict fuel flow thereby
yielding the same problem(s) as in #2)?

I apologize if this turns out to be a relatively basic question.
I only get to work on the car on weekends and didn't give myself enough
time to experiment on my own (getting fuel pressure readings, etc).
I figured I'd ask the group during the week to fuel myself with more
information to work with this coming weekend.

Thanks a lot,

Louis