Re: [DML] Delorean prices...supply & demand

Re: [DML] Delorean prices...supply & demand

I know this topic has been beating to death on the list, but you have to remember that not *everyone* sees the DeLorean as a cool collectable car. First off, it has to be understood that the majority of people out there have never even THOUGHT of a DeLorean in years and don't realize that many of them exist as normal cars (a major reason why our cars get to much attention on the road.) People see the BTTF movies on TNT every now and then, but that's it. So maybe there would be more demand (and thus higher prices) simply if owners drove their cars more often and took them out of storage to up the car's exposure? The idea has been mentioned here before.

Also, once again, to many people the DeLorean has a cartoonish image to it because of the movies. Thus, some people think it is a cool thing to have, while many others think it is stupid and ugly. (Yes, there are people out there who actually believe that.) So the DeLorean is always going to be a love it or hate it kind of car, which may be reducing its desireability.

You also have to remember that the DeLorean gets a lot of explicitly *negative* press as well. Just a couple days ago I went to Barns and Noble and picked up a coffee table book on classic cars, and it SLAMMED the DeLorean pretty hard. (I forgot the name of it though.) *I've* always thought that one reason why people don't like the DeLorean is because, dare I say, they are in some way jealous of the car. After all, it is the most unique thing out there on the road, at a time when everyone is trying to be "different" and unique with cars. The DeLorean is still around and was definately ahead of its time, and I think some car people may resent that.

These are, of course, minor issues to consider when asking why the DeLorean is not worth more, compared to the ecomonic supply issues already discussed. But they are things to keep in mind.

Richard
(In love with the DeLorean for over 10 years now, owner for 1.)