Re: [DML] low fuel pressure

In a message dated 10/24/01 5:59:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
greg@xxxx writes:

> After
> searching the archives and checking the manual ( and not really
> finding this problem addressed) it would appear that the fuel
> accumulator has a blown diaphragm allowing the fuel to return to the
> tank without pressuizing the system. Is this a valid theory? Is there
> a simple way to check.

Greg,

i don't believe it is the fuel accumulator diaphram because if it is blown,
it has a seperate line from it that does not go to the fuel distributer - it
returns to the tank via the main fuel return line. it may be possible though
if there is so much fuel being returned through that outlet that it is
filling up the entire return line and backing up in the distributer. i'm not
sure if the distributer has any valves that prevent this.... but you could
check this idea out by going under and looking for the short piece of
flexible fuel line on the rear end of the accumulator - there are two lines
up front and one line in back. disconnect the rear line and turn on the
pump. if gas comes out of that line, then you know your accumulator is shot.

one more idea - you must make sure you don't have any kinked hoses. replace
your upper fuel feed and return lines at the pump with grady's new orange
lines. they WON'T kink!! also check out your lower line inside the tank and
make sure that is ok and is not being pinched by fuel pump suction (after
time, the hose gets soft and sucks itself in). finally, doublecheck to make
sure that your send and return lines are connected properly to the metal
lines that run to the accumulator under the frame. make sure they aren't
crossed. the return line goes the metal line on the left and the feed line
goes to the metal line on the right. if they are crossed things will be
really screwed up! the first step though would be to check that accumulator.

good luck,
Andy

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596