Re: Engine Troubles.

Vacuum leaks are bad. They can cause loss of power, affect idle and
ride quality, allow air to get into the engine unfiltered causing
increased wear, cause vacuum operated devices to not work and so on.
There is no short cut to fixing them. The only sure way, if the hoses
are hard and brittle, is to replace them one by one. I have seen
splits and cracks that would not be found any other way than to remove
the hose and inspect it inch by inch bending it as you go. If your
mode switch is hissing then you know what you have to do. As for the
acceleration problem, I have cured them sometimes by replacing a bad
ignition coil. It can be that you have a high voltage breakdown of the
secondary ignition system under high loads. The things to look for are
bad or misgapped plugs, bad wires and boots, carbon-tracked cap or
rotor, and possibly a bad coil. Ignition coils rarely fail but it does
happen especially after 20+ years. Depending on how many miles and if
it backfires under heavy acceleration you could also need a valve
adjustment. The "new" ecu may be forcing the coil to run a little
hotter but if it is bad it still breaks down. Substitute another coil
temporaraly and see if it fixes it.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757