putrid exhaust, imperfect idle

Hello All,

i posted a few weeks ago about this problem but now that i have some hard
data, it may be easier to determine the problem.

the problem/symptoms are these: the car starts and runs all the time (almost
never dies unless i'm screwing around with it) however no matter if the
engine is warm or cold, the idle isn't very steady. it's not erratic as in
you can't really see the RPM gauge moving (except in the first couple minutes
of a cold start when the idle is seeking) but it doesn't sound like it is
normal. it sounds rough. when you drive the car, when cold there is a
hesitation to acceleration but that clears up in a couple/few blocks. when
warm, it performs pretty well, but doesn't seem like all the power is there.

my exhaust is horrible. it smells very thick and when you are working in the
engine compartment you have to turn away every couple of minutes because the
exhaust makes your eyes burn and water. does that mean i am running too rich
or too lean? rich i would think, but i'm not ASE certified! also, it is 55
degress out and i can see my white/gray exhaust coming out of the pipes. i
have not noticed my cat or muffler getting super hot and glowing. my heat
shield (new one) is in perfect shape.

i have checked for vaccum leaks - can't find any. when i remove the air
cleaner cover i can hear a whooshing sound going through the meter plate. is
that normal? my frequency valve operates and sounds like an angry hornet. i
checked my CPR terminals with a multimeter and it read 0 ohms - i was told it
should be about 35 ohms? is that correct?

i now have my own fuel pressure tester and i measured:
cold start: 1.6 bar control pressure, 4.9 bar primary pressure
hot start: 3.0-3.6 bar control pressure, 4.9 bar primary pressure
rest pressure: after 15 minutes - 2.8 bar.

i suppose the next thing to check is my timing and vacuum advance timing.
any other ideas on what could be the problem? any other tests i can do? i'm
glad i finally have my own fuel pressure gauge!

Andy

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102