Re: [DML] Striker pin modification (was warped door)

Re: [DML] Striker pin modification (was warped door)

Yesterday, to try and diagnose my passenger door (doing the same
thing as everybody else's, but driver's side is perfect) I removed my
striker pins. I have a Nov 81 build, VIN 06960. On my car they
simply unscrewed. Behind the plastic panel was a square opening
allowing for adjustment. A metal bracket was behind this which the
striker screwed into, it moved around freely, but was always snug up
against the opening to prevent falling into the fender. At this time
I also removed my inner weatherstrip, and door strut. What I found
was that with the strut attached but striker pins removed, the door
was PHYSICALY closing in the front of the car before the rear. After
removal of the strut, the door seemed to have twisted backwards, and
then the rear was actually rubbing against the rear quarter, but
still very misaligned. I played around with adjusting the hinges
where the door attaches w/strut attachment. This didn't help in any
situation. This winter I'm probably going to remove the torsion bar
and adjust the front hinge (unless this can be done safely without
removing it?) Dont yell at me about how dangerous this is, because I
know the procedure and have access to the propor tools (hint hint
Bruce B.). I am primarily writing this to say that even though the
striker pins are adustable, sometimes it really is the door itself
which is mis-aligned. If I get a chance I'll take a picture of the
striker pin setup on my car.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC-6960

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, senatorpack@xxxx wrote:
> The pins are not modified. DO NOT MODIFY THE PIN or TAKE THE
PIN OUT.
> The area around the pin is modified and updated to the 1982 style.
I think is