overheating

hey all,

last night i had an overheating problem -

about 30 blocks from my house i began to notice the odor of burning wires. i
pulled over and checked my engine compartment. no problems. i then checked
my electrical compartment - my fan fail jumper was melting and it was
super-hot. i unplugged it thinking it could start a fire, then drove
straight home, knowing i was w/o fans. once home, i let the car idle for
about 2 minutes while i inspected the rest of my compartment for overheating,
then i turned off the car and i immediately could hear the sound of coolant
boiling on my muffler. i looked back and there was a big plume of steam that
rose up and soon as i turned off the car. i opened my engine bay and i could
see about 1/2 qt of coolant had spilled out of my reservoir overflow hose,
however there was also coolant on my driver's side engine compartment wall,
on my belts, and on both the waterpump and crankshaft pulleys. i suspect
that coolant came out of the reservoir and some landed on my running belts,
and they sprayed coolant around. i let the car cool then came back an hour
later to check it out, and i couldn't find any antifreeze leaks on my initial
inspection.

things to note - my temp gauge is inoperative so i do not know how hot the
engine got. my fans were wired by a previous owner to be constantly running
when the car is on. i do not have fanzilla as a result of this. i tested my
coolant last week and it was good to -40F so i know my coolant isn't old. i
have not started the car yet because i need to make a new jumper and buy some
more antifreeze.

any ideas on what happened to me, and is it possible i have incurred
permanant damage in those brief 30 blocks? the air temp was about 55 degrees
outside and i had no indication of engine damage until i shut it off and saw
coolant boiling.

thanks for any insight,
Andy

Soma576@xxxx