RE: [DML] Delorean Parts prices Then and Now

RE: [DML] Delorean Parts prices Then and Now

I am no economics guru or anything, but I think that a 52% increase since
1982 isn't bad at all. Looking at Consumer Price Index conversion factors
as compared to the year 2000 here:

http://www.orst.edu/Dept/pol_sci/fac/sahr/cv2000.pdf

It seems like $1000 dollars in 1982 would be roughly equal to $1786 in 2000
(1000/.560). So a 52% increase isn't too bad after all. Please correct me
if I am wrong. I also believe that comparing the value of the car itself to
the value of parts is like comparing apples to oranges. Most vehicles
depreciate each year; the fact that Deloreans have overcome this
depreciation is impressive in itself. Parts on the other hand, are a
commodity in continued circulation and will more than likely adhere to the
simple economics of inflation coupled with supply and demand. I do agree
that the idea of buying a $5000 Delorean is treacherous from a financial
standpoint, but may very well be worth it to restore it as a hobby, or to
make sure the restoration is complete and done "correctly" (all in the eyes
of the owner, of course). It's the automotive equivalent of survival of the
fittest, further swelled in our case because our cars are 20 years old.
There will always be parts cars, and as far as I'm concerned they would do
better to sustain the rest of us in some fashion rather than being crushed.
Years ago I had a couple of Merkur XR4Ti's, and those were plain ridiculous
in regards to parts vs. car value. A radiator for that car was roughly 1/3
of what the car was worth; a motor or tranny swap would put you upside-down.
But, I loved driving those cars nonetheless. So, I agree with your thinking
as it pertains to "bargain" cars, but purchasing a nicer example makes more
financial sense in the long run. In addition, I am not one to depend on the
predicted value of our cars, but I will say that it looks like we are in a
valley right now because of the economy as well as the simple fact that
people may be beginning to forget about them. As much as I hate to say
this(zipping up my flame suit), I believe that when the BTTF movies are
released on DVD our cars will enjoy the same resurgence as the movie (that
is not necessarily a good thing). But my reasons for ownership have nothing
with these economics, I bought one because I always wanted one. Sorry,
enough of my rambling, just stick to the rule of $20,000 as a starting point
and from there prioritize why you drive these wonderful cars.

Max Glover