Engine Oil

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: The engine oil debate seems to start up every so often and there appear to be as many opinions on engine oil as there are people using it. As this has been covered quite well in the past, postings on this topic will be restricted to substantiated factual data rather than personal opinion. If you have hard data to share on this, please include the source of your data with your posting (like the back of the bottle in this case).]

On the Mercedes Benz list the subject of engine oil is well debated. I
though this would be of service to the beloved DeLorean PRV engine.

Sincerely,
Michael Pack

Subject: [MB] Just bought some 0W-40 Mobil1

After trading e-mails with my friend at Mobil, I first took his
suggestion and contacted my local Benz dealer, as the fellow from Mobil
said that MB dealerships had great access to the product, at very
favorable terms. So I called the guy I know at the parts counter, said
I was interested in the 0W-40 and wanted to know about it's price and
availability. "Pete, I'm afraid I can't help you. I've got it, but
I've got a 1 thousand gallon tank out back feeding overhead supply
lines, and nothing smaller". Since I wasn't in the position to buy
1,000 gallons of it at once, I thanked him, but only after learning they
charge $6.50 a quart for an oil change.

Then I called a local distributor that they pointed me to. Went there
today, opened up a commercial account and bought 10 six-quart packs of
the stuff at $28.25/case.

Looking at the labeling, I think it answers a lot of questions that many
have raised recently on the list. Here goes:

FRONT LABEL:
European Car Formula
Mobil1
Tri-Synthetic Formula 0W-40
Fully Synthetic Motor Oil

BACK LABEL:
Mobil1
Worlds Leading Synthetic Motor Oil
Tri-synthetic Mobil1 Formula 0W-40 exceeds the performance requirements
of European automobiles and is engineered to offer outstanding
protection in high-tech European engines. It is approved against
Mercedes Benz 229.1, a specification which is required by 1998 and newer
Mercedes-Benz vehicles. Tri-synthetic Mobil1 formulations are designed
by Mobil engineers and use a unique combination of three high
performance synthetic fluids proven to outperform all conventional oils.

- - European ACEA A3/B3/84-98 Approved
- - Mercedes-Benz 229.1 Approved
- - Meets engine performance requirements of Audi, BMW, Porsche, Saab,
Volkswagen and Volvo
- - Outstanding protection for gasoline, diesel and turbocharged car engines
- - Tri-Synthetic formula extends engine life by reducing wear and oil
breakdown
- - Excellent cleanliness and wear protection in high-temperature/hot
running engines
- - Superior sludge and wear protection under severe, short trip operation
- - Helps reduce oil consumption
- - Compatible with conventional oils

Exceeds API Service SJ, SH/CF warranty requirements for gasoline and
diesel engines.

And it continues on with some other messages which are not as
interesting.....

Hope this helps.....