Re: [DML] Odd AC cycling

Kevin,

My first guess is that your 'drop-in conversion' may be clogging up your
expansion orifice. Any original oil that is left in the system will
eventually react with the R-134a and turn to gunk. The initial short
cycling is due to not enough freon circulating through the system due to the
clogs. Once the clogs have been circulated through enough times to break
apart, then your system works properly. Each time the car is left sitting
(such as being parked overnight for example) the bad refrigerant oil
re-coagulates.

Being able to say that your compressor "only cycles once every couple of
minutes (if that)." and the system still produces plenty of cold air -- this
is NOT normal for a DeLorean. Perhaps this is a benefit of using R-134a.
Imagine that! A benefit. :)

What is the ratio of time cycled 'on' vs. time cycled 'off'? When your
compressor does cycle on, how long does it stay on?

According to the DML archives, my system seems to be typical: The higher
the heat load and the lower the RPMs, the longer the interval that the
compressor stays on. And with cool weather and night driving, the
compressor cycles as rapidly as every 7 seconds which is EXTREMELY ANNOYING!

My GM & Ford car's compressors don't cycle near as fast (or as loud!) at
higher RPMs. I find the extra noise very distracting while driving. Does
anyone have a way of making it quieter other than turning the a/c off? It's
worse than sitting next to someone with hiccoughs.

Walt Tampa, FL