Re: motor oil and gas - recommended?

As far as gasoline is concerned, my car has never run well on 87
octane. The engine is sluggish, and accellerates very poorly. 89 she
does ok on, and is alright for commuting. 92 REALLY brings the engine
to life. Granted I'm still not going to win drag races at the track,
but the engine response is much quicker. While you may not ever go
that fast, when running 92 octane I can usually get the engine around
2-3K RPM's faster in 5th gear @ 100mph+. Although I'm still looking
for a longer, isolated stretch of highway to see just what the engine
will top-off at. While on a personal note, the best fuel I've found
to run in my car is Sinclair 92 octane.

As far as oil is concered, I doubt there will ever be a 100% clear
answer on this. Many people perfer 1 type to another. So to stay as
unbiased as possible, I will omit brand names. And to reduce
confusion, I will also ommit the centigrade conversions. As an
example, I myself run 20W/50 in my car. In the DeLorean owners
manual, it specificly states 20W/50 is for 60°+ Note that there is no
limit on the temp.

The next range is 2°to102°. Oils here are reccomended are 10W/50,
10W/30, 10W/40, 15W/40, and 20W/40. My guess here is that these grade
types are listed from coldest temp, up to the highest. Here you can
also see that the range has a limit of 102°. Since my geographic area
exceeds this limt, I use a heaver oil. Yes you will not find some of
these multigrade mixures on the shelf at your local auto parts store.
But they do still exist.

Lastly, for the -2°to-21° range, the manual reccomends to use 5W/20,
or Single Wieght 30. It also notes that these wieghts shouldn't be
used when the temp is consistantly above 32°F. Since most, if not all
D's stay home durring these types of weather conditions, this last
scale probably won't apply to anyone.

Now on more of a personal, kind of flip side to this debate. Most new
cars I've seen (GM specificly) reccomend using 5W/30. I always looked
at those and though the wieght was WAY too low. Especially on the
cars with V-8 engines! But to follow my own advice, guidelines set by
the manufacturer should be followed for the specific engine. Remeber,
the PRV uses hydrolic tensioners for the timing chains, while other
engines don't. What is good for 1 type of motor, isn't always good
for a different type. But even my old Ford 5.0 truck was set to
almost the exact same guidelines as my DeLorean is.

Anyhow, just my 2¢

-Robert
vin 6585

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Soma576@xxxx wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> i was going though my shop manual today and noticed that it
recommends 91
> octane gasoline for the car. i've been using 89 octane. yes i
know what the
> rating means, but is there a good reason i should be using 91
instead of 89?

> second, it recommends some pretty heavy motor oil. it says that
15w40 is a
> recommended weight! i've done over a thousand oil changes at the
part time
> job i work at, and i've never put oil like that in a car - the only
engines
> that use that (Rotella, usually), are big diesel pickups!!
it's 'the diesel
> oil'. what do most people use? it says regular 10w30 is ok but
only in cold
> temperatures.
<SNIP>