Re: Is a worn fuel pump causing my engine to die??

Re: Is a worn fuel pump causing my engine to die??

Although the fuel pump can "wear out" the trouble is usually a suction
leak that allows air into the pump which causes all kinds of running
quality problems and will eventually lead to premature failure of the
fuel pump. The fuel pump is lubricated and cooled by the fuel so if it
is pulling in air you can guess what happens. Before replacing the
pump carefully inspect the pick-up hose and make sure it and all of
the baffles are correctly installed. Also when installing the fuel
pump use extreme care to not kink the hose. If the hose seems soft
replace it because the fuel pump can collapse the hose with the
suction it can create. Alternatively you can install a spring inside
the hose to prevent kinking and collapsing. If these tips don't help
and the pump is still noisy it is probably shot and will soon quit
completely so change it but keep it as an emergency spare. Cars with
this problem always seem to do better on a full tank of gas, it covers
the hose and cools the pump.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757