16" & 17" wheel discussion

Sacha,
I agree! Wheel spacers are not the best way to go. But if they are small and allow enough bite on the threads of the studs (7 full turns of the wheel nut), they are fine. I have very small spacers on the front, so the difference is minimal. I have rather large wheel "adaptors" on the rear, which works even better than stock in my opinion. The adaptors I have in the rear have 4 holes where the adaptor mounts to the car, and then it has 4 new studs in the adaptor that the wheel mounts to. Those studs are set in between each hole. This is how the pro's do it. They were quite costly, but well worth it. When I had the rear adaptors made, I had them make them a little bit thicker so I could remove the factory rear spacer. Now the adaptor sits more on the hub making it more hubcentric than before. So it's a more solid fit. Getting blank wheels to match up is possible I guess, but I think it's gonna be very costly, and you need to find a really good shop that knows what they're doing. I felt more comfortable going with already made wheels since they have been tested already and deemed safe. Also, if I ever damage one, which I did on a curb already, I can just call up and order a new one. No problems with replacing rims here!

---Dan

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, srubano@xxxx wrote:
Sacha,

Talk to Dan (DanRC30, on this list) he had replaced his rims with
aftermarket ones. He custom made some spacers to fit behind the rims
so that they fit perfectly on the car.

Will do, thanks.

I went to the rim-shop today to try to measure up the rims and to our
surprise there was a lot of info 'printed' on the inside of the
standard rim (even including production day). Hopefully this will make
it easier for them to find suitable rims.

We also talked about the spacers to make rims fit but they weren't too
enthousiastic about that. It is better (according to them) to make the
rim fit by adjusting the rim itself.

We'll see.

Sacha