Re: cleaning trans filter

Your magnets will only capture steel and cast iron particles. The
filter is meant to keep out the big chunks and any friction materiel
which is a natural by product of the aging of the automatic
transmission, not metal. You should not expect to catch much metal,
especially magnetic, although you will see flecks of brass and bronze
from the thrust washers as they wear normally. If you find large
amounts of friction materiel or any significant amount of magnetic
particles the transmission is nearing the time for a rebuild. If at
this point you continue to drive on it you will only cause more
damage, like driving on a worn out clutch, it tends to wear much
faster as it approaches the end of it's life. When the fluid becomes
overburdened by particles it wears out the pump, the seals, the torque
converter, and the thrust washers and shims. Even if you reseal they
won't last if the fluid is full of grit (microscopic particles of
metal and friction materiel). The only cure is complete disassembly
and replacement of all of the wearable parts, the friction plates, the
steel plates, seals, bushings, thrust washers, and gaskets. If you
drive the trans to destruction then you risk of ruining hard parts
like gears, housings, shafts, etc. These parts are not normally
replaced and are expensive. Think of it like driving on worn out brake
pads and ruining the rotors. If you stopped and did the pads for say
$50 you wouldn't have to go for rotors for $500. On the Delorean you
cannot properly flush out the trans fluid unless you dismantle it. Too
much remains in the torque converter and you can't drain it without
removing it. Cleaning the filter is involved but since there is no
more stock and I cannot find a replacement this is the best I can come
up with.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Walter" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> David,
>
> I have rebuilt my automatic transmission filter the way David T
explains.
> It worked good but was very time consuming (and very rewarding if
you are
> into doing things the hard way.) There is nothing about the filter
that I
> would consider a 'wear item' -- meaning something that wears out and
needs
> to be replaced periodically. It is all metal, and any debris that
collects