[DML] Re: door dings caused by window regulator

[DML] Re: door dings caused by window regulator

The window regulator dents are easy to find if you know where to look.
Where you will find the dent(s) if you have them depends on whether they
were caused by the original or the heavy duty window regulator. From the
door molding, measure 50 to 55cm from the front edge of the door and measure
down 1 to 6cm below the door molding. The OEM regulator will cause dents at
55cm, and the heavy duty window regulator will cause dents at 50cm.

I noticed the dents in my doors soon after I first bought the car, and it
had very low mileage (8600miles). Since I noticed the same style dent in
both my doors and on the doors of several other DeLoreans, I gave them the
benefit of a doubt that it was an artifact of assembly and nothing caused
expost-facto -- on the same order as the standard left front fender ding
that many DeLoreans have. By the way, my car also has the standard left
finder ding. I never noticed it until I read in the DML archives where
someone described it and said exactly where to look for it. And I found it
on my car too!

Looking in my door, I can clearly see where the tube of the heavy duty
window regulator (which I repaired and re-installed myself) is pushing and
rubbing/wearing on the inside of the door skin causing this dent. About 5cm
behind this area is a similar dent/scuff mark where the OEM window regulator
caused its damage before it was replaced by a previous owner.

If this problem is caused by improper installation of the window regulator,
then someone please tell me in what way the factory incorrectly installed
the original regulator.

If the problem with the replacment heavy duty window regulator is also a
matter of improper installation, then someone please tell me how so many
people seem to install these the wrong way. The tube of the regulator rests
against the outer door skin and flexes against it as the window is moved up
& down. If the tube is not supposed to touch the door skin, then someone
tell me what went wrong. Do I need to lay the thing over my knee and
straighten out the tube some? Did I position the brackets wrong? Whats the
deal?

Walt Tampa, FL