RE: [DML] how hot is too hot?

I had a cooling problem during very hot weather. It turned out that when
the interior of the car got heat soaked, the cooling fan breaker would trip
because of the high ambient temperature. This happened when I drove from
Mobile to Los Angeles for the DOA Expo. A quick call to John Truscott
verified my suspicion. I cleaned all of the connections and purchased a PC
fan to lay in the relay compartment to help cool the breaker. Hint, leave
the cover off of the relay compartment and fold the carpet back so you get
good air circulation. In L.
A. I purchased a fanzilla and installed a higher rated breaker. Problem
solved?

Fast forward to Cleveland 2000. Again during hot weather my fans would not
run, even with the AC on. It turns out that once again the breaker was
tripping. Yes all connections were cleansed and tightened and my grounds
were clean and tight. I had the fanzilla but since the breaker was
tripping, there was no power available to turn the fan fail light on via the
fan zilla.

When I got home, I went through the schematic and the relay compartment. I
found that by moving a couple of wires to different ports on the fanzilla
plugs, I could bypass the stock breaker and rely on the fanzillas fuses to
provide circuit protection. By doing this, the fan fail light will work and
the troublesome breaker was eliminated.

I posted a description of what I did last year. I think I labeled it "Fatal
Flaw" or something to that effect.

Scott Mueller
DMCNEWS 002981
DOA 5031