Re: Trapped in a DeLorean?

Yet another fine example of "rumor journalism". I've even read
articles stating that in cold climates the gullwing doors had
problems when they become frozen shut. While the gullwing design has
both it's advantages and disadvantages over the conventional side
hinged door, I don't imagine ice would be any more of a problem on a
DeLorean, than it would be on any other car. I do believe that I did
read a story once where a woman was locked in a prototype car that
was on display in Cleavland (correct me if I'm wrong). But being a
prototype, I believe that it had a much different locking system. It
is true that when parked on hills and angles, the doors had some
dificulty opening and closing. Which is why the guideblocks were
installed to insure proper latching.

I have a copy of the DeLorean gold portfolio. Inside there is an
article by a man who was a gynacologist in Texas who purchased a DMC-
12 (IMHO it's a bad article written by snotty man who wasn't happy
with his purchase for whatever reason). In the article he gave his
opinion on the doors being jammed shut in both a rollover and/or a
malfunction. And how he carried both an unbrella and a sledge hammer
in his car to bust the windshield if the car rolled over. Everything
in the article was based off of this man's opinion, NOT facts. Which
is interesting, because up untill this article, no one ever really
thought/wrote about getting stuck inside.

But, I can tell you this; I'm 6'2", and weigh around 225. And I can
EASILY side over the center console between the driver and passenger
seats. When I was installing the new door handle on my passenger side
door, I screwed up on of the cables, and had the door jammed shut on
me. I just slid over, and went out the other side. Let it be known
that this was a human error on my part, and not a problem with the
door. I did solve the problem later on. "Trapped" inside? Been there,
done that...

On the flip side, if you find the DeLorean to be a somewhat cramped
ride, you probably need to adjust your seat and/or steering wheel.

-Robert
vin 6585

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Joe Thome" <joethome@xxxx> wrote:
> Hello List members,
>
> I just read on a web site something which indicates that there may
have been some incidences of people being trapped in their DeLoreans
because the doors wouldn't open. At least that was one person's
opinion. The site goes on to say that the problem can be fixed.

> I find the possibility of being trapped in my DeLorean kind of
scary because of the cabin's rather cramped quarters. Is this really
a potential problem, and if so, Is there a remedy? If so, what is it?
<SNIP>