Re: [DML] Coolant temp

Chris, The otterstat is supposed to turn the fans on at 207 degree f and turn
off at 196 degree f. My car 11004 which has about 51,000 miles on it, turns
on and off in the Dallas traffic in 90 degree weather just a tad above the
1st mark which is about the same as yours 180 maybe. What is off, the gauge
or the otterstat. I'm going to buy a surface temp probe for my meter to
measure the correct temp. I have also taken apart the otterstat, and it
reminds me of an old Halloween clicker inside with a bimetal ring that pushes
a small piece of plastic down to turn the switch on and off. I would try
another otterstat and get an average between the two. More than likely it
will turn the fans on at a different spot. Then you can see which one you
like best. As far as the fans staying on longer after it gets hot, that my be
normal. Most of the time it depends on the traffice/driving conditions. If
I'm moving 30+ miles per hour my fans don't come on very much and it takes a
minuet or two to cool down.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/