Re: [DML] Re: door dings caused by window regulator

Re: [DML] Re: door dings caused by window regulator

I have the heavy duty window regulator in my passenger door, and I just
confirmed today that it is responsible for putting a dent in the door skin.
I started this thread before suspecting that the dents were only caused by
the OEM window regulators since I have seen several DeLoreans with the same
dents in the doors.

Anyway, I HEREBY OFFICIALLY COMPLAIN THAT THE HEAVY DUTY REPLACEMENT WINDOW
REGULATORS SOLD BY THE DELOREAN VENDORS HAVE A DESIGN DEFECT ALLOWING THE
TUBE TO PUSH AGAINST AND DENT THE DOOR FROM THE INSIDE. I'm not too much
into yoga, but I was able to operate the window electrics from the center
console while holding my hand on the outer door skin. As I rolled the
window up & down, I could feel the door skin warp considerably as the window
regulator tube pushed on it. In fact, there is a tube-shaped dent in the
center of the door where this is happening. It shows up really well when
the light hits it right such as at evening car shows.

For those of you with dent-free doors, I highly recommend being very gentle
when rolling the windows up regardless of whether or not you have the
upgraded window regulators are the old OEMs. Take your finger off the
switch immediately when the window is at full travel because any further may
dent your door from the inside.

I'm planning on trying the dry ice technique of dent removal. If that
doesn't work well enough, then I'm just going to cover it with the optional
dealer side stripes.

Another idea that I'm going to try is to glue a swatch of fiberglass PC
board or heavy gauge stainless inside the door to protect the area. If I
were one of the vendors of the heavy duty window regulator, then I would
definitely start selling them with such a reinforcement panel or come up
with a different design.

Who is the one who 'invented' the standard heavy duty window regulator? Is
this another Zilla product? Enough people on the DML have noticed the same
dents in their cars, so something should be done about this before it gets
anyone else's doors.

Walt Tampa, FL