Dead Pedal Install

Well I finally got up the nerve to install my DMC Houston dead pedal. I
had some problems figuring out how to make the rivnuts scrunch up in the
hole. After a couple of inquiry e-mails to James and some trial and
error it worked just like he said. I am a real novice but I was able to
do this install in about 20 minutes!!

I first pulled back the carpet and taped the template onto the
footwell. The drill size if 3/8" but I started with a much smaller one
as a pilot. I then removed the template and used a slightly larger
drill bit until I got up to 3/8".

Next you simply press the rivnut into the hole. Warren had sent me a
longer bolt to use as the smaller one for final installation doesn't
give you quite enough room for the job. You then put on a regular nut
and metal washer on the bolt that will act as the "anchor" when
tightening. Place the dead pedal over one of the rivnuts to be
tightened. Thread in the long bolt enough to get a good grip in the
rivnut threads. Wind the nut down onto the face of the dead pedal with
the metal washer touching the dead pedal face. This will leave you a
nice long piece of bolt sticking out into the footwell area....You'll
need this!! Use a vise grip or someother wrench to hold the bolt in
place at the very end of the bolt. Then take another wrench and start
to slowly tighten up the nut that is touching the dead pedal face (with
the washer in front on it) As you start to tighten it feels like it's
stripping, but it's not. The rivnut is scrunching into place and
shortening.

Once it feels fairly tight repeat the same procedure on the other
rivnut. you may what to switch the dead pedal around so to give you the
room you need to get in there. Since this isn't the final install it
really doesn't matter. After both rivnuts are tight you then have to
cut your carpet to make room for the dead pedal to slip through. Once
you do this, install the shorter bolts that come with your pedal and
tighten it up to where it feels good. It may give a little more but
don't worry the rivnut is in there pretty good at this point. I didn't
cinch it up too much as it felt tigh enough

As for the "feel" of the pedal...Well, it is GREAT! It makes a world of
difference in how far your foot extends into the footwell. I felt more
secure in the driving position. If your thinking of getting one I would
recommend it. Let me know if you get one and have any problems!

Tom
005732 MT

http://www.geocities.com/outatime81