Re: [DML] First Drive in my DeLorean

Hi James

First off calling the device which controlls the gear-change in an Auto DeLorean
like yours a "computer" is like calling a lump of wood with four wheels a "car".

>From what I remember it's about as simple as you can get. It simply reads off a
voltage from a dynamo spun by the transmission and when (through a resistor
network) a certain voltage is reached, a transistor fires the solenoid(s) to
change the gear. There are of course two shift points.

DO NOT think about replacing the computer, you'd be wasting $400 on a problem
probably caused by a part you can buy from Maplin for 20p. I know for a fact Bob
(the previous owner) used to have to jump-start that car and did it without
unplugging the CG. This can cause voltage spikes to hit the transistors which
shift the gears. I would bet you need to replace (one of) them. Somewhere in the
archives there's instructions on putting a couple of diodes in the box to
protect the transistors when jumping the car.

If/when my friend and I bring these two D's over, he was really tickled by the
idea of "fiddling" the CG on the auto (mine's a manual) such that you can vary
the shift points with a knob on the centre console. You can also use the
kick-down switch to extend the rev range over which the tranny stays in gear,
and even implement a semi-automatic shifter. The electronics are gloriously
simple, but we are thinking of replacing it with a proper PIC to do all this for
you, and more...

(waffle mode off)

Martin