Re: [DML] window felt replacement

Christian "Window Felt" Williams,

I had the same problem on my DeLorean. Medium long story follows:

I ordered new felt/rubber pieces from PJ Grady. They came in and I noticed
that they were several inches shorter than OEM (and rather expensive). The
OEM is long enough to cover the entire window (the roll down portion along
with the fixed portions.) The OEM has two notches cut in it to fit around
the metal bracket it attaches to. The notches coincide with the forward and
rear facing parts of the roll down window. The new one from PJ Grady is cut
only long enough to fit between the notches and replaces only the portion
that sits against the moving part of the window. I complained to Rob about
this, and he said that he got them through DMC Houston and that is the way
they made them. (It's amazing how all the vendors work together behind the
scenes. Apparently they buy a lot of stuff from each other.) Anyway, Rob
said he would take them back, no problem, if I didn't want them. Thus they
sit in a box somewhere in my garage because I have more important things to
do. Technically, the new shorter piece would work just fine. I glued my
original felt back to the rubber piece using what I had on hand: Liquid
Nails paneling adhesive from Home Depot. That is some good stuff! In this
application it works better than 3M General Trim Adhesive because the Liquid
Nails is thicker and dries with less shrinkage which helps seep into and
stay in the woven backing of the fuzzy stuff. Use a small bead. Too much
may soak through. Let dry overnight, and make sure the fuzz doesn't slip
while drying.

Another tip: Rob Grady shipped me some shims (nylon washers) to install
between the metal bracket (that holds the rubber/fuzz) and the stainless
inner door panel. The idea is to put the spacer at the screw that holds the
bracket at the front part of the moving window. This stops the window glass
from rubbing the fuzz too hard, yet still gives enough pressure to keep the
window in its track.

Walter (Liquid Nails, JB-Weld, WD-40, black shoe polish, beer can
fuel-baffle) Coe Tampa, FL