Re: window felt replacement tricks

In a message dated 6/3/01 10:21:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
delorean@xxxx writes:

> I simply refuse to believe that there is no aftermarket fix for the shoddy
> DeLorean window felt. I just replaced the felt for both door windows last
> weekend, and today the passenger side felt has already come unglued at the
> front side of the window. I saw a post in the archives asking if anyone
> had created a rubber or a better felt replacement, but could not find an

I just replaced my driver side with a part from Rob Grady. His two
suggestions: first, don't just replace it the width of the glass, like the
original, use as much as will fit on the channel. That increases the amount
of glue surface anchoring the felt strip. His replacement piece was more than
adequate for that. Second, Rob supplied two thick washers, to be used to
offset the metal carrier frame at the front edge, thereby moving the felt
away from the glass. I only used one, but that seems more than enough in my
case. If you do this, I suggest you tape the washer in position before
replacing the carrier frame. Trying to hold the washer in position while
installing it is nearly impossible. Rob says he's working on a better
replacement.

Wayne A. Ernst
DMCTech Group