Re: Starting problems

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: The use of ether or other starting fluids can be
hazardous to yourself and your vehicle. The use of ether or starting
fluids is suggested for experienced professionals under controlled
conditions, and the reader should take appropriate precautions
and gauge his/her skills before undertaking the test David outlines.
The use of ether carries the potential of engine damage and fire if
used indiscriminately.]

The amount of fuel comming out of the injectors is directly affected
by the position of the air sensor plate. At idle with the plate closed
you don't get alot of fuel out of them. If you push the plate down you
will see more fuel come out. If you adjusted the mixture screw be
aware that it is VERY sensitive and a SMALL adjustment will throw the
air fuel ratio far enough out of whack that the engine will just
sputter and die. Since you say that you took the engine apart can you
be sure that you have everything correctly timed? To rule out a fuel
problem pull the #7 fuse to the fuel pump and squirt a LITTLE BIT of
ether into the engine. If it doesn't start right up for a couple of
seconds start looking somewhere else like valve timing or distributer
timing or ignition wiring. Pull a spark plug and make sure it is
firing with a nice blue spark!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757