Re: oil filters

John and list,
PTE/Teflon is THE ABSOLUT WORST thing to put into any engine. The
PTE/Teflon (or PTFE as Slick 50 calls it) clogs the oil filter and
the internal oil passages in the engine. The Teflon does not dissolve
in the oil thus becoming a suspending particle. The oil filters job
is to remove particles in the oil and since the Teflon is a particle,
your wasting your money. Ever wonder why on the Slick 50 package it's
called PTFE and not Teflon? Dupont did not want their product
associated with it in anyway. They knew that it would cause engine
problems so the manufacture of Slick 50 had to come up with their own
name.

As for the check valve, that's another "no-no" for the Delorean
engine. Fram even advises NOT to use their filter on the Delorean
engines because their filter that fits the D has a check valve in it.
The oil filter on the D is on an angle where the highest point is the
threaded part and the lowest point is the rounded part of the filter.
It can hold plenty of oil in it after the engine is off. The cars
that need check valves are the ones with the filter that are placed
opposite of what the delorean's position is...meaning the threaded
part of the filter is facing down. For example my Jeep Cherokee, the
oil filter is in the opposite position of the Delorean where as the
rounded top part of the filter being the highest point. It's all
about gravity, you either love it or hate it. I can go on and on
about other things such as there's no oil on the top half of the
engine during start up...that's why it's important to start your car
and let it "warm up" first to get all the fluids moving along before
stepping on the gas and going.

Here's a little visual for you: Get a glass and fill it with water,
tilt it in the same position as the filter is on the D. There's still
water in the glass right? If anyone would like a picture of what
position the oil filter is in?email me?.my engine is out of the car
with the PROPER oil filter on it and I can take a picture with my
digital camera for your reference.

The oil check valve on the Delorean will cause an unnecessary HIGH
oil pressure which can lead to engine damage.

I wouldn't go about saying the professional car
mechanics/dealer/repair places are wrong and your right. If you want
to stick with the Bosch oil filter that has the check valve on your
car..then by all means do so but don't tell other people that don't
know the effects of a check valve oil filter that the Delorean parts
vendors are wrong! They (the Delorean parts dealers) have had YEARS
of experience (and most of them well over 20 years experience) and
know what's good and what's bad for these cars.

Sorry I'm blowing off steam again ;-),

Steve

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, dherv10@xxxx wrote:
> Dan, Let me explain why the anti-drain back valve filter or check
valve as
> you call it is so important in the Bosch oil filter and other
applications. I
> think you will better understand after this.
<SNIP>
>Without the anti-drainback valve you will promote more wear to
> the engine because the filter won't hold oil because it will drain
back to
> the level of the car and lubrication will be slower.
<SNIP>
This is also why
> PTE/Teflon was added to oil to help lessen the friction of metal
from metal
> during that critical time of start up and running.
<SNIP>
John Hervey