Re: [DML] Fuse box wire colors

Robert,

On a friend's DeLorean, he had 3 of the 20 amp fuse sockets melt in his fuse
block. These spaces were badly deformed, and what was left of the
electrical connections inside of them were not repairable. Now his relay
compartment looks 'tampered with'. If anyone were buying a DeLorean and
knew what to look for, they could use my 'cut and bypass' repair to lower
the value of his car.

When I suggested an upgraded replacement for the original fuse block, I was
referring to the established opinion that the quality of the original is not
high enough to tolerate the high current demands placed on it. For the sake
of keeping the cars original, the best way to preserve the original fuse
block is to keep the connections clean to reduce the chances of a meltdown.

For the car that I did the bypass surgery on, the fuses that caused problems
were all 20 amp ones. If I remember correctly, one powered the a/c
compressor, one powered the high-beams, and one was fuse #7 that powers the
ignition, fuel pump and too many other things.

A crying shame of this situation is that the guy just spent a couple hundred
dollars having an new a/c compressor installed because the a/c compressor
clutch was slipping and presumed defective. Well, it is my opinion that the
clutch was slipping because the connection at the fuse that powers it
was thermally intermittent. Replacing the fuse connection cost a few
dollars in parts (if that) and my labor was free. Yeah, I'm bragging. I'm
such a great mechanic. :-)

Walt Tampa, FL