Re: [DML] New problem: fuel baffle

If you are unable to find a new or used fuel baffle (the last I heard was
that the remaining stock was very expensive), consider making one from
scratch. I know this may sound totally ridiculous, but consider cutting the
bottom out of a 1 gallon bottle of laundry bleach. The #2 HDPE plastic is
gasoline resistant. Most plastic gas tanks are made of this type of
plastic. It would help considerably if you had an original baffle to use as
a pattern. The basic shape is a wide shallow cup with a ring of small holes
close to the bottom. The holes are just high enough to stop small amounts
of water and debris from making it into the baffle. There is a hole on the
side where the fuel suction line enters through a grommet. The baffle is
held down and held into shape with wire supports. If you try this crack-pot
idea, I suggest adding another wire or piece of plastic to keep the suction
screen in place. This could be made from a piece of the same doaner plastic
bottle and held in with some stainless steel rivits or screws.

The correct baffle is larger than the fuel pump hole in the tank, so you
have to bend it a bit to get it in. My baffle has two pieces that snap
together -- the bottom and sides are separate. In order to fit it through
the fuel pump hole, I had to pass the pieces through separately; although, I
have heard of some magicians fitting them through the hole pre-assembled.

Walt Tampa, FL