Re: [DML] Oil filter and cross reference info

Re: [DML] Oil filter and cross reference info

Th subject of what oil and what filter can get pretty personal. Most
oil companies want you to believe that their oil and their branded
filter is best. The heart of the discussion boils down to synthetic vs
generic. Most of the major brands are made from the same base stocks,
the differnces are the additive packages and the bottle and of course
the price. I would rather see someone use a cheaper oil and change it
more often then the other way. If you calculate the price of the oil
used for extended changes against "ordinary" oil you will see extended
changes cost more! Over the road trucks run on extended oil schedules
but they for the most part use oil analysis to determine oil and
additive life. Under normal circumstances the additive package wears
out before the oil starts to break down or the oil becomes overloaded
with products of combustion. For most owners of Deloreans a change of
once a year is probably less than 5,000 miles. Use a national brand of
multi-weight oil and change the filter at every change. Synthetic oil
is expensive overkill and unless you watch very carefuly someone could
add something that is not compatable at a gas station! The same goes
for DOT 5 silicone brake fluid. You lose all advantages if you mix DOT
4 with DOT 5.(As if there are any?) If you are like most owners they
try to do at least some maintaince like an oil change. If you figure
the price of oil and a Purflux filter it is still cheaper if you do it
yourself than going to a gas station. Never overfill. The best way to
check oil is in the morning before you start the car on level ground.
It should NEVER be over full or below add. Always dispose of used oil
properly. With the new oil additives that are in modern oils you
should try to avoid direct skin contact, some people are very
sensitive to them. Wash immediatly if you do come in contact
especially with used oil, that contains heavy metals.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Delorean17@xxxx wrote:
> Hello List,
> The Amsoil SDF42 oil filter also has the anti-drain back valve.
They