Re:Trouble Shifting into Reverse

In a message dated 3/18/01 9:08:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
garbadee@xxxx writes:

<< My immediate concern is I am
having a great deal of difficulty getting my 5 speed into reverse. I know
it says lift on stick to put in reverse, but that doesen't seem to make any
difference. >>

This drove me crazy when I first got my D! Having driven auto trans nearly
exclusively for the past 28 years, I probably took a year off the life of my
transmission on the test drive alone! :( The prior owner, who is not a real
large guy, saw me struggling and told me he used both hands to lift it up to
get into reverse! Not necessary, I later found out.
I had two problems: keeping the shifter from dropping into second by
mistake, and getting the gears to mesh even when I really was in reverse.
Here's what I learned:
1) The directions seem to say, "LIFT the knob, THEN move left, then
rearwards." But that doesn't always work. The shift pattern diagram in the
manual tells a different story. Try this: Move left, LIFT, then pull further
left and rearwards."
2) If you're in the right spot but it hasn't quite meshed, maintain firm but
not brute pressure rearwards on the shifter as you ease off gently on the
clutch. It should drop nicely into gear. Don't ever force it or try to slam
it into gear. After you get a feel for this, it'll become second nature and
you won't have to hope nobody's looking when you need to back up. :) It's
worth the trouble... for me, a five speed is more fun to drive!

Wayne A. Ernst
The New DeLorean Manuals Project