Re: Welders

A stick welder (arc welder) or "buzz box" is the cheapest way to go.
It will require some technique and is limited in the materiels you can
weld. The next step up is MIG or Metal Inert Gas. It is more expensive
but can weld a wider range of metals even stainless with the right gas
and filler wire. It is reletively easy to set up and weld even for an
inexperienced welder. The final level is TIG or Tungsten Inert Gas.
This is the most expensive and requires the highest level of skill.
Don't leave out the most versitile of all and a very cheap way to
start, Oxy-Acetylene or gas-welding. It can teach you the basics of
welding and is very useful for cutting metal and losening bolts. You
can also weld cast iron which really can't be done well any other way.
Every shop usually has a gas outfit because there are so many things
you can do with it. I recomend starting with gas welding and then if
you are serious moving up to MIG. There are many safety issues to
address with welding so don't skimp on safety equipment like welder's
goggles, gloves, fans, etc. Find a welding supply house that sells
compressed gases in your town and they will teach you and help you
select what you will need. Another source for welding equipment is
Eastwood or any large car swap meet. They usually have venders selling
welding equipment and supplies. They give live demos and will teach
you how to use the equipment. If you are serious about working on
cars, welding is a good skill to learn just don't skip the safety
part.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, srubano@xxxx wrote:
> Can anyone recomend a good basic welder? I need it to repair some
> Tranny mounts and other misc things on my Delorean. Recomend using
> MIG or Stick? I've seen MIG welders on Harborfreight.com
manufactured