Re: The yearly A/C question

The availability of R-12 has been a long running issue. Unless
something has suddenly changed, there shouldn't be any worry.
Personally, I myself perfer R-12 over R-134a. Here in the desert, R-12
cools down much quicker, and doesn't strain engines as much. A few
years ago with a previous job I had, there were 2 seperate vans. An
older 89 w/R-12, and a newer 97 w/R-134a. Both were Dodge 1500 fleet
vans. Needless to say the older van had many more miles on it. But in
the summer time the A/C would always cool down quicker, and the van
had better pick up with the A/C running.

R-12 is an environmetal concern due to careless people. Example: You
yourself know that your car's A/C system has a leak. So you are
investigating leak and you will repair it. But most people just ignore
the problem and keep pumping refrigerant in fully knowing that it will
leak out. It's easier to keep filling a system then it is to repair
it. This is one of the causes of the hole in the ozone layer, and why
R-12 is being phazed out. As long as you take good care of your A/C,
it will run great for many years to come. I run the system twice a
month. Doing this pumps the oil through the hoses, and keeps the
rubber connections lubed, thus preventing them from drying and rotting
out. A R-134a system can leak just the same, but is only less
poluting.

On ther other hand. If I were driving an older car that I knew that I
wouldn't be willing to give as much attention to, I would probably
convert that one over to R-134a.

For cooler climates (California), R-134a should be ok. But here in the
desert, I perfer R-12. In either case, make sure that you give the
system a good going over. You may want to look into spending a little
extra cash and replace the accumulator and the orifice tube since they
may have been exposed to the outside air. Also have a pressure test
run, and maybe add some dye to check for leaks. If you do decide to go
with R-12, and you get the system running to it's peak performance, it
should serve you well for many years to come. You won't have to search
for freon if your A/C is in good running order.

-Robert
vin 6585

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Ryan McCaffrey" <ryanjm@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>

>Should I convert to R-134a? The AZ-D club mechanic, Stan Davis, who
is the
> owner of Mesa Auto Works, said that I won't be able to get R-12 in a
year.
> He also said that 134a is made colder by a new adjustable orifice
tube (my
> paraphrase may not be exactly correct there) that adjusts to make it
a bit
> colder. Should I hunt down and pay more for the colder, stock R-12
or
> convert to the 134a?
<SNIP>