Re: [DML] Found good gas cap replacement part -- NOT

Re: [DML] Found good gas cap replacement part -- NOT

Kevin,

I don't like the Stant #11810 because it has a venting pressure relief
spring-loaded diaphragm. Both the locking and non-locking OEM caps do not
vent at all. I bought the same Stant #11810. Without taking it out of the
package, I pressure tested the diaphragm using air. I found that it leaked
at pressures well below 1 lbs psi. The pressure was so low that I quickly
ruled it out as an acceptable cross-reference considering that the OEM caps
(particularly the non-locking variety) can hold several lbs psi. If any
vapors are going to escape from the tank, then you want them venting through
the vapor recovery system rather than wasted through the cap.

If you keep smelling fuel, then don't rule out that it could be coming from
your new #11810. Before I modified by Stant #11623, it had the SAME venting
spring loaded diaphragm as your #11810. It caused my car to stink like gas
really bad -- even to the point of making me sick. On short trips or with a
mostly full tank of gas, it didn't bother me. But when the tank was less
than half full, the fuel in the tank would heat up from being circulated
through the fuel distributor and also from having heat from the radiator
fans blowing on the tank. At lower fuel temperatures, there won't be enough
pressure to vent through that cap. But once the fuel gets hot enough, then
you will have problems. The hot vapors come up through the cap, cool and
then since they are heavy, they drop right into the intake of the a/c system
stinking your car's interior up. I suggest you plug the vent hole on that
cap or buy an OEM cap from one of the vendors.

A local friend bought a new cap from PJ Grady. It is non-locking, totally
sealing and has a number stamped in it that indicates it was manufactured in
the early '80s, so we think it is new old stock. It has a black plastic cap
with a handle/ridge in the center.

Keep us posted about how things work out for you.

Walt Tampa, FL