Re: [DML] ATTN: owners who have replaced their entire stereo

Re: [DML] ATTN: owners who have replaced their entire stereo

I have replaced my stereo. After 6 years of talking about it, I finally did it.

Here is the readers digest version of what I did:

I installed a Old Alpine (from 1984!) CD player I had in the garage (this will
be changed sometime in the future) by using the custom radio bracket from the
Mid-West DeLorean club.

The front speakers are 4", and mount flush with the dashboard. I found that the
4" speakers made by Infinity were true Co-Axial speakers, but had a spacer ring
to make it mount flush. The only problem I had was the mounting studs in the
dash were too short for the new speaker with the spacer, so I used some threaded
end caps from the hardware store and cut a slot in them with a dremel so I could
"screw" them in. It worked great!

For the back, I decided to just leave the 4X10 speakers where they were because
it was not worth the effort to get to them and change them. Besides, I wanted
to install some decent size woofers so I might as well put the full range
speakers in the same box.

I designed a custom box that fit in the parcel shelf. The box has 2 Kicker 8"
woofers, each in it's own isolated ported enclosure. The outer edges of the box
have a small sealed enclosure for the full range speakers. (4" mid range 1"
tweeter separates).

There are 3 amplifiers mounted on top of the box to power the system.

I am very happy with the results. I had this setup in Cleveland, and played it
for a few people. You may find some people on the list who heard it.

Good luck!