Re: [DML] Re: Stainless Steel Frame

In a message dated 1/16/01 4:56:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dswingle@xxxx writes:

<< Nick (NJP548) may want to pipe in her too. He is doing that same job
(to a standard frame) and can vouch for the degree of difficulty (not
too bad) and amount of small-parts changing you'll have to do (lots) >>

Dave is correct on this. I can honestly say that doing a frame off
restoration is not very hard to do, but it is still a lot of work. There
were a LOT of parts that I had to replace while I was doing this restoration.
The good thing after all this is that when I finish with the restoration,
almost everything on my De Lorean will be like brand new. In May of 2000, I
separated the frame and the body, now 8 months later I am finally able to put
everything back together again. If you were seriously considering having
someone perform the frame swap for you, I would consider doing it for you,
but I don't think the parental units that live with me will let me do another
restoration again no matter what I get paid. Times like these make me wish I
had a bigger garage and a town that doesn't bother us over every little
thing. What I can suggest to you if you really want to get the ss frame, is
what Dave Swingle suggested, try to find a car that is in overall really good
shape, so that there won't be that many surprises when you are in the middle
of the job and strip the frame down, sell it to someone who has a rusted up
frame and get an SS frame for yourself. That way everything else on the car
is in good shape and shouldn't need replacing. Hope that helps and good luck!

Later,
Nick
1852
Http://members.aol.com/njp548