Re: Emissions test and Transmission damage?

Re: Emissions test and Transmission damage?

There have been many horror stories associated with emissions dyno
testing. A favorite was trying to dyno a 4 wheel drive, it took off
because the front wheels were still engaged. There are many dangers
from inexperienced people doing the testing to improper procedures to
defective equipment. The destruction of the transmission is the least
of your worries. If the trans fails it is probably because it was
slipping to begin with and testing at full load for an extended
period
wipped out the clutch plates. On level ground at light loads the
trouble may not have been noticable but was there already waiting to
get worse. The Delorean transmission is no more prone to damage then
any other automatic assuming that it is in good condition. In New
Jersey they have suspended the dyno testing temporaraly, our Govenor
is becomming the head of the EPA so I guess they didn't want too much
bad publicity. I had my Delorean in the dyno test last year and I
wasn't too thrilled about it (and they wouldn't let me watch) but I
was told "Either let us test it or we will fail you right now!". It
passed but the interesting part was watching them try to test the GAS
CAP. The tester could't seem to find the right adapter so several of
them came over to help. They eventualy got it to pass by only putting
it halfway on, then the green light on the tester lit! Another little
thing they do in Jersey, with the driver's door open the tester gets
it up to about 20mph and hits the brakes on the brake indicator to
test the brakes! I really don't like that but again if you won't let
them do what they want they just fail you. I have to look into
collecter plates.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, nbrommer@xxxx wrote:
> The prior owner of my car (in california) claimed that the
emissions
test destroyed his transmission. Subsequently, the transmission was
replaced so my car has a new transmission. However, I'm wondering if
there was any truth to his statement. I live in Washington State,
where I will soon be putting the car through an emission test. Any
thoughts?