Resposnse to Suspension by James Espey

This is only my second submission to the list and I do so with some
trepidation. I read the list regularly but time constraints usually
preclude
my involvement. I know this response is long but please bare with me.

James, to ignore your statements would imply I agree with all of them,
which
is not the case.

James, you said:
(SNIP Digest # 356 Message 9)

"Look at a half-dozen DeLoreans with stock front springs side by side
and if
you have two that are the same height, you'll be doing very well."

First; I don't see this poor quality and sagging spring problem you
describe
with the stock springs. After reading your first post I conducted the
following tests with six DeLorean's.

Measurements were taken from the lower edge of the wheel well molding
past the centerline of the wheel to the floor. I did not
have time
to check
tire pressures, fuel tank levels, quantity of fender shims, etc.
This would ensure less deviation from car to car. Tire brands and
odometer readings,
most of which I believe are accurate, are noted and listed below in
mileage order.

Mileage L/F R/F	L/R R/R Tires
2186 26" 25 5/8" 27 ½" 27 ½" Goodyear NCT
8451 26" 26" 27 ½" 27 ½" Goodyear NCT
19021 25 ¾" 26" 27 ½" 27 ½" Goodyear NCT
20250 25 ½" 26" 27 ½" 27 5/8" Goodyear Eagle
30461 25 5/8" 26" 27 5/8" 27 5/8" Yokahama AVS
36735 25 ½" 25 3/8" 27 ¼" 27 1/8" Riken

I see no problem here except; the front height is still excessive, even
after twenty years. A valued customer of ours provided me with his
measurements. We installed DMC Houston springs (he bought them directly
from you James) on his car just two years ago. Here are his specs L/F -
24 ½", R/F - 24", L/R - 26 ½", R/R - 26". The half-inch deviation from
lrft to right on
these two-year-old springs is is greater than some of the
twenty-year-old originals.
Is this a problem? Absolutely not! That small amount of difference is
normal in the car world. Chevrolet used to tell us this was normal
(we were a GM as well as an original DeLorean Dealer until 1982) if a
Chevy owner complained about small height variations while under the new
car warranty.

Our springs drop the front height an inch and a half. We also offer one
inch
lower springs but sell mostly the one and halves. The springs are high
quality and powder coated. Our shock absorbers are custom made for us
and
are powder coated, nitrogen charged, pressure adjustable, rebuildable,
and
are produced by a performance shock manufacturer to our specification.
Incidentally the rears feature an adjustable spring preload collar,
which
will allow you to lower the rear slightly if you wish.

We don't sell front springs just to be cheaper than Houston or because
people will settle for adequate handling. We cut no corners with our
suspension kit and the only relatively cheap part is the price. However;
at $680.00 for
our complete kit, no one has called our suspension cheap. Perhaps we
could
arrange a track comparison? I'm confident that both of our suspension
kits improve
handling noticeably compared to a stock DeLorean.

I also don't understand how you could say
(SNIP 2 Digest 357 Message 18)

"I have no idea where PJ Grady gets the products they are selling."

on Monday and suddenly came to a realization two days later that

(SNIP 3 Digest 362 Message 3)
"Rob is one of the best customers that De Lorean Motor Company has, and
believe that he, Debbie and their staff provide an excellent and needed
service in their region of the country."

James, I used to feel like you were an ally and DMC Houston was a
partner. This has all gradually changed since you joined their "team".
Don't get me wrong, I still want to be your best customer, but it's hard
when I can't get parts in a timely fashion. It's one of the reasons we
manufacture many parts in the first place and I have a bad feeling I'll
be
forced to manufacture many more parts in the near future. I also
disagree
that we are a "regional" DeLorean parts and service provider. We have
shipped parts to all fifty states, England, Germany, Japan, Switzerland,
Netherlands, South Africa, France, Italy etc.. We receive cars for
restoration from all over the USA.

I wish to thank all the list members for their favorable comments over
the years, including you James, and would like to be more involved on
the
mailing list. Hopefully it's not the last you will hear from me. I love
working on DeLoreans for a living and appreciate the fact that my
customers
patronage allows me to do so. Thanks for hearing me out.

Sincerely
Robert Grady
P.J. Grady Inc.