Re: Courtesy Light Switch Replacement

This thread is getting a bit speculative, and I've seen similar threads
killed by the moderators for this reason. But if we don't brain storm
together then new fixes become harder to come up with. Well anyway, I hope
this goes through...

It would be interesting to see if that particular Volvo door switch could be
adapted to the Delorean. HOWEVER, the Delorean door does not fit with the
same tolerances as a 'normal' car door. As simple as the OEM design is, I
doubt that anything more complicated could be made to work in the same way.
I tried adding a little piece of vacuum hose on the end of one of my door
switches as this has been published as a workable fix. This put more
leverage on the plastic stick allowing it to fold over. Now the switch
really has problems.

Looking in a '99 Delorean One catalogue, they list new door switches with
'protective end caps' for $8.27 each. If these are nothing more than OEM
door switches with rubber tips, then I wouldn't consider them. This
catalogue is rather amusing in that they are so hard to acquire. In fact, I
don't think they ever came out with an official catalogue in years. This
one I photocopied from a D1 customer who obviously should remain anonymous.
It is stamped 'DRAFT' and 'COPY' like is done with legal documents. I
suppose this makes it officially unofficial. Maybe I'll start labeling all
of my e-mails like this for my own protection. :)

On a funny note, a few days ago I was getting out of a 2 door Olds and
noticed how the long door barely cleared the curb and ended up hitting the
landscape bushes. I said to myself, "Oh, this is one of those doors that
open the wrong way." Then I laughed at myself for thinking that the gull
wing Delorean door was the 'right way', but then it is -- isn't it?

DRAFT COPY Walt Tampa, FL my tag says WATSDAT :)