Re: [DML] Torque settings

Graham,

I think the 4 bolts you are referring to are listed in the parts manual on
page 4:1:1 as
Fig. 2, Part Number 101078, Screw M10, Qty 4.

The remarks say it is 'automatic also', but the automatic section was
obviously written by someone else with a different style of writing. And
apparently it doesn't mention this part anyway.

Premise 1) The parts manual says that this part of the manual transmission
is the same as the automatic.

Premise 2) The automatic section of the parts manual gives no torque
specification equal to the 14 ft-lbs that is 'apparently' listed in the
manual section.

Conclusion 1) Either they disagree or we are looking at the wrong part.

Conclusion 2) Choose a torque setting that is for a similarly described
part. That could be 18 ft-lbs which still seems bit weak. I suggest
starting with 18 ft-lbs and re-checking the torque periodically until you
are satisfied that it is tight enough.

When is someone going to write a new service manual that takes all this into
consideration?

Walt Tampa, FL