Speedometers and Federal Law....

> To jack singer and all other members of the list
>
> I don't know about Virginia but the last time I checked it was still
> part of the U.S.A. It is against FEDERAL law to tamper with a
> speedometer. I live in New Jersey and they take it seriously.

This is incorrect. I have titled cars in four different states. In all
cases, it plainly states on the title "Federal Law requires you to state
mileage in connection with transfer of ownership." On the back of the title
you indicate the milegage on the odometer. However, 3 out of the four times,
I was allowed to put "Exempt" in for the mileage because the vehicle was
over 12 yrs old.(this is a federal law from what I understand). Thus, if you
put EXEMPT on the title, I fail to see how anyone can contest the mileage on
the car. As long as you told them, if they accused fraud,it would be a
"he-said/she-said" situation.

I have never heard of a law of "tampering" with the odometer unless you try
to commit fraud. I.E., as long as you don't try to sell the vehicle with
fraudulent mileage, I don't see a problem. With a simple "EXEMPT" on the
title, I fail to see how anyone can construe fraud. Maybe it is different in
New Jersey, but it has been the same for me in the four states I have bought
vehicles in(hence, it is not a federal law from what I can tell).

Just trying to help. As long as you are forthright with any future owner and
only testify to what you know about the car, you should be all right. How is
this any different than calibrating your speedo? Are you breaking the law if
you fix a non-working odometer? I could be wrong, this is my interpretation.
Is there any lawyers out there?

Nate

Nathan E. Green
gzen21@xxxx

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88mph you're gonna' see
some serious s--t"
-Doc Brown: "Back to the Future"

Tired of slow Internet? Get @Home Broadband Internet
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html