Re: [DML] Lexan or Plexiglass windshields

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Walter wrote:
> The same goes for tinting windshields. One of the reasons why it
> is illegal to tint an entire windshield is that it will make the glass too
> strong and could cause more injury to your head than the government would
> like to see happen in an accident. On all windshields near the top, there
> is a little line on one side marked, "A_S" or something to that effect. On
> my Delorean with OEM windshield, it's on the upper left. The little line
> next to this lettering denotes the legal limit to where window tinting can
> be put.

Not quite. The tinting doesn't change the strength of the glass; the law
says that you can't have anything other than clear glass in front of you
for visibility reasons (this is also why it's illegal to hang things from
your rear view mirror), except that a six-inch maximum strip at the top
may be tinted against the sun. The line is actually marked AS1 with a
down arrow, and if you'll note the tinting actually ends a bit before it
(i.e. not even a little bit of tinting beyond it). The AS number refers
to the amount of tint in the glass; the side windows are AS2 which is very
slightly tinted. "Tinted" tinted windows are usually AS3, which is
usually as far as is used for windows that are designed to be looked out
of. The scale goes up to AS6, which is almost opaque.

Richard Schauer
rws@xxxx