Cooling Fan Update

The Problem:
As it turns out, the "e" clip on the spindle had bent out of
place, and was not pushing the blade assembly down onto the motor far
enough. Looking at the clip, it itself was bent to push down on the
blades. The problem appears to have been that just like a spring over
the years, it lost it's resistance and was no longer pushing down.

The Solution:
Using a 2-pound sledge hammer and the blacktop in the street I was
able to flatten the e-clip. Then using a washer as a shim I placed it
between the fan blade and the clip to tension. Viola! The fan is once
again running!

Observations:
Viewing the motor from the back, there are 2 bolts that go thru
and hold the entire assembly together, w/a seam twards the back of
the motor where the front and back casing meet. More then likely
though, DMCJoe is correct in stating that the unit is sealed. 2
people pulling in oposite directions were unable to seperate the
motor halves. Or even remove the fan blades for that matter! Epoxy
may have been used to seal the unit, but I have no idea.
Next is the how the blades are connected. As I described above an
e-clip is whats used to secure the blades to the motor, but what is
odd is that the spindle that goes thru the blade assembly, and that
the e-clip attaches to does NOT spin independantly of the blades. It
appears that the blade makes contact with the motor underneath. Which
would explain why the blades have to be pushed down to work.
(Naturally you could understand my 'surprise' when i I pushed against
the fan blades and the motor suddenly started with my fingers in the
way!)

Conculsion:
Replacing the e-clip and adding the shim into place can be
accomplished without having to remove the fan motor. Granted though
it is a tight working space for your hands, and the radiator can be
like a cheese grator against your knuckles if you are not careful.
If you do need to remove a fan motor for whatever reason, this is
no easy task. It will require removal of the lower radiator brackets,
AND the front anti-sway bar to drop the fan cowl. Of course there is
the alternative of hacksawing the motor out, and then replacing it
using Bondo marine putty epoxy.
All in all, while it was a simple problem that was easily curable.
Getting to it was not. IMHO, changing my rotor and distributor cap
was a much easier task to be sure!

-Robert
vin 6585

p.s. The weather in my area is still in the high 90's. Friday I blew
the radiator cap twice in traffic! No signs of damage to the engine,
but once more I'll run thru the usual tests to determine...