Automatic transmissions

[MODERATOR NOTE: IT IS PROBABLY POSSIBLE TO DO SOME DAMAGE TO YOUR CAR OR NEIGHBORHOOD BY CONDUCTING THIS TEST IMPROPERLY, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD OF IT BEFORE. I'M ALLOWING THE POST FOR ITS POTENTIAL INTELLECTUAL VALUE. -Mike S.]

To the List

I need help in developing a specifaction for the stall speed of the
torque converter. It does not require any mechanical ability just a
good running car with an automatic transmission.
DO NOT DO THIS TEST IF YOU ARE NOT COMPLETLY COMFORTABLE WITH THIS
PROCEDURE!

1) warm up car with a drive of at least 5 miles
2) park car where there is nothing in front and away from any people
3) set parking brake and hold down brake pedal
4) with engine idling shift into "D"
5) smoothly push accelerater pedal all the way to floor
6) when engine speed is stable note reading on tachometer
7) release accelerater pedal smoothly ( don't hold to floor for more
than 20 seconds)
8) move shift to park and hold the engin rpm's at 1000 for 30 seconds
at least to cool motor.
9) do not repeat again for at least 5 min
10) do this test at least twice to confirm results.
This is also a good test for the engine as it gives a rough
indication
if it is capable of full power output.
If you will do this and then either post the results or e-mail me I
will keep track and post a spec for the list.

David Teitelbaum
vin 10757
e-mail address jtrealty@xxxx

See you at the Fall Foliage Tour