Re: [DML] Tranny Filters

Bob, I assume you're directing this at me, since I did attend the BCU show in
Chicago this past weekend and I did speak with one of the "D" guys about auto
tranny's.

Like all rumors that have been told over and over, the answer is: Yes and
No.

What we've found on about a half dozen auto tranny's we've worked on is:
the filter is very restrictive, even new, almost to the point of starving the
tranny for fluid during normal operation. We do have a few tranny's
currently running without filters installed and, to date, they have performed
very well, especially for automatic Deloreans. These cars have only been
running for a couple of years so, at present we do not have any long term
info concerning possible additional wear.
As far as just changing the fluid more often to offset not having a
filter, that's NOT the case. These owners realize there is a risk of
additional wear and / or possible damage involved in not having a filter
installed. The "performance vs wear" thing is a trade off which involves
some risk, and each owner must decide for themselves if they want to accept
this risk.
I was only passing along information we have gained thru personal
experiences working with these cars. Each owner must decide for themselves
what to do with this information and what risks they want to accept in using
this information.

You've probably played with auto tranny's as much as anyone has,
especially with the setup you've got in your BTTF car. What is your
experience with this ?

Marty

<< I heard a rumor at the BCD. Someone was crediting you with claiming that
removing the filter in the automatic transmission, improves its
performance.? You just have to change the oil more often. Is this true?

bob Brandys