Re: [DML] trans filter/Delorean Motor Company

Re: [DML] trans filter/Delorean Motor Company

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: I got quote a volume of messages regarding this topic
that were along similar lines (indicating positive DMC experiences).
Rather than perpetuate this discussion too far I'm dropping messages on
this thread that have no new substantial content.]

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Jeff wrote:

> filter. I was told to clean mine. One company, Delorean Motor
> Company of Texas was no help at all! I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM
> THIS GUY! I wanted to find out what type of Renault auto trans was
> in the Delorean so I could try and find a filter elsewhere. His

If you call a parts supplier and ask them to help you get a part
elsewhere... I think it's understandable to be unhelpful. Of course if
they didn't have it in stock, that's a different story.

It's certainly not the sort of thing you usually see from DMC Houston.
But many parts stores have the DeLorean in their computers and/or catalogs
and you shouldn't need the Renault part number.

> Does anyone know of a source for auto trans filters, or what type
> transmission is in the car? I think the trans is from a R-20/R-30.

It's an R30.

> Also, what did Delorean do to make the engine/transaxle set up work?
> Did they move the ring gear from one side to the other?

The whole final drive assembly is different. The ring gear is on the
other side, but the modifications are more extensive that that. You might
be able to use a Renault transmission, by replacing it with a DeLorean
final drive.