Re: [DML] trans filter/Delorean Motor Company

Re: [DML] trans filter/Delorean Motor Company

I'm not sure who you spoke to here at DMC (Houston) or when you
called, but I think most will agree that your experience was atypical.

The Renault transmission used in the DeLorean is a Renault R30. To my
knowledge, the DeLorean was the only vehicle sold in the United
States that used this exact transmission configuration. There was an
old Renault sold in the states in the early eighties that shared some
components with this transmission. Will a Jeep-Eagle be able to help
you find the part? Maybe. When you get it and have a question about
installing it, will the Jeep-Eagle dealer be able to help you as far
as it's application in the DeLorean? Doubtful.

When we used to get the filters, they were imported from France. The
price has gone up considerably, and we have taken to cleaning and
re-using them with excellent results. Another problem is the gaskets,
another difficult to obtain and expensive part.

Regarding parts cross-references, I think all the long-time DML'ers
know my opinion of cross-reference parts. For those who don't, these
helpful links are provided:

http://www.dmcnews.com/backissues/dml389.html
http://www.egroups.com/message/dmcnews/1327

The DeLorean is rapidly approaching 20 years of age, and nearly as
many years being out of production. A great deal of time, effort and
expense has gone into sourcing countless DeLorean parts. Why would we
do this? Yes, we love the DeLorean car, and want to see them on the
road. We believe that in 98% of all instances, the Lotus/DMC
engineering staffs had the right ideas, so sourcing OEM replacement
parts when the factory stocks (our warehouse) were depleted was a
necessity. Finally, we went through this effort and expense because
we are a BUSINESS, and it's our job! We buy these parts in quantity
(usually the only way that original suppliers will sell them) which
results in an additional large out of pocket expense. Then we pay for
warehousing and/or storage of these parts until we sell them - more
expense. If we gave out this information, eventually we would be out
of business, and then what would you do when you needed a non-cross
reference part or qualified technical advice from a shop with nearly
20 years experience on literally over a thousand DeLoreans?

Everyone who buys parts or has service done at De Lorean Motor
Company is entitled to free technical support for themselves (or
their mechanic if having someone else do the work). Because of the
nature of our business, we try and help everyone that calls. But when
someone just wants information from us so they can go and get a part
elsewhere, anyone can understand why we take a dim view of that. And
you'd be surprised at how often it happens.

If you felt you were treated unfairly, Jeff, I apologize on behalf of
De Lorean Motor Company. I'm sorry that you will "never buy anything"
from us either. I hope that when the time comes you need a part that
you may not be able to get elsewhere, you will give us another try.

Regards,

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas