Single turbo muffler

Hello everybody.

I need some advice. I have a single BAE turbo. The exhaust pipe that exits the turbo unit is approx... 3.5 inches in diameter. This pipe is about 4 inches long and then is reduced to about 2.5 inches and is connected to the muffler and then a similar small diameter tail pipe. Is this a necessary design? I think that the exhaust is being choked off. If I were to eliminate the pipe reduction and get a bigger inlet and outlet muffler, would I get more power? Or would this not provide enough back pressure and I would lose any low end that I have? Thanks for your ideas?

Rich