Re: [DML] Relay Updates

Jim,

I'm still running on all the original relays on my Delorean with the
exception of the relays which the Fanzilla replace. I also replaced the a/c
fan breaker and the radiator fan breaker. The rest of the relays are wimpy,
but still good enough to work reliably in the rest of the car, per se. The
biggest problems came from making those wimpy relays switch too much
current, but the Fanzilla fixes that.

I suggest ditching your fan fail bypass since it was intended as a temporary
fix until the Delorean engineers could come up with a better solution. Now
there are two better solutions:

1) Get a relay modification from John Hervy. I bought one from him, but
never installed it.

2) Get a Fanzilla. That's what I'm running in my D now, and I like it. It
is a bit pricey though.

If cost is a concern, then get John Hervy's modification. If you are after
name brand reliability and/or have a weak alternator, then get the Fanzilla.
In any case, you should at least put the beefiest relay you can in the
socket next to the fan fail bypass. But do something. The relay in that
socket is a disaster waiting to happen.

The only other relay I would worry about is the a/c fan blower relay which
operates at the higher speed. Mine gets a little too hot.

Later,
Walt