holding the translucent resevoir which did not come with the new unit. The
old one had to be taken back as a trade- in. I think it was a Saab part.
Marvin
"MR AD"

----- Original Message -----
From: <dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2000 12:43 PM
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 172

> www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html

> moderator@xxxx
>
> There are 25 messages in this issue.
>
> Topics in this digest:
>
> 1. Re: celebrity DeLorean owners
> From: ciasleeper2@xxxx
> 2. Re: lambda light on dash
> From: "Scott Cagle" <sharkywtrs@xxxx>
> 3. Re: lambda light on dash
> From: James Espey <james@xxxx>
> 4. Hot Start
> From: "John Hervey" <dherv10@xxxx>
> 5. Re: VIN SCEDT26TODD020064/Exhaust Pipes
> From: dmc17168@xxxx
> 6. cooling fan question
> From: gullwing99@xxxx
> 7. Re:Frame Restoration (color matching the frame)
> From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano@xxxx>
> 8. Customizing the DeLorean
> From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude@xxxx>
> 9. Slightly Damaged RFP For Sale
> From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude@xxxx>
> 10. Re: Re: Changing front and rear springs
> From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxx>
> 11. Re: Re: Summer Heat, now hard starting Q
> From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxx>
> 12. RE: lambda light on dash
> From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus@xxxx>
> 13. Re: VIN SCEDT26TODD020064
> From: James Espey <james@xxxx>
> 14. Throttle cable
> From: "Lynn Metz" <metzlynn@xxxx>
> 15. Re: cooling fan question
> From: Marc A Levy <malevy@xxxx>
> 16. Re: Customizing the DeLorean
> From: Mike Substelny <msubstel@xxxx>
> 17. Re: Customizing the DeLorean
> From: Marc A Levy <malevy@xxxx>
> 18. Re: celebrity DeLorean owners-more Leave it to Beaver
> From: johnmidd1@xxxx
> 19. Sob Story
> From: Josh Haldeman <haldeman@xxxx>
> 20. straighten fascia & repainting
> From: Delorean17@xxxx
> 21. Re: Changing front and rear springs
> From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano@xxxx>
> 22. Canadian DeLoreans
> From: "Sacha Prins" <sprins@xxxx>
> 23. Questions on NOS Master Brake cyl
> From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano@xxxx>
> 24. Re: Hot Start
> From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxx>
> 25. Re: Throttle cable
> From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxx>

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:26:48 EDT
> From: ciasleeper2@xxxx
> Subject: Re: celebrity DeLorean owners
>
> Another interesting tie in to "Leave it to Beaver" is that Beaver's older
> brother Wally's Highschool, (in reality a set on the Universal lot) was
> retrofitted 20 years later into what we now know as the infamous Clock
Tower
> [...]
> the mark on the "electronic box". On cars with the early VINs, the
> inertia switch was mounted there. People were kicking them and that's
> why it was moved to the wall on the drivers footwell.
>
> A description of the box would be helpful in accurately identifying it for
you.

> James Espey
> DeLorean Motor Company
> Houston, Texas
>
> 281/568-9573
> 800/USA-DMC1
> http://www.delorean.com
>
> >The lambda light on our dash is lit, what does this mean? We tried
> >looking in the owners manual and it was really not very clear. Does
> >it mean the car needs to be serviced? Also, my husband was working on
> >our '81 delorean and noticed an electronic box below the clutch
> >pedal ...what is it? We are new delorean owners and this is probably
> >going to be one of many questions that we will have about our lovely
> >car!
> >
> >thanks for your input!

> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:55:56 -0000
> From: "John Hervey" <dherv10@xxxx>
> Subject: Hot Start
>
> Hey: Group, If anyone needs a hot start relay for this cool Texas
> Climate of 100 to 107 to help overcome the startup up problem, I have
> them. You know me. Dherv10@xxxxx New listing on the DML Parts list.
> John
> 11004
> 6935
> 6568

> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:01:51 EDT
> From: dmc17168@xxxx
> Subject: Re: VIN SCEDT26TODD020064/Exhaust Pipes
>
> Not all 1983's came with small exhaust pipe tips. I purchased #17168 new
with
> 17 miles from a New Jersey dealer who had over 20 1983's in stock. As I
> remember most were 17000vins. The cars with black interiors had the large
> tail pipes and the cars with grey interiors had small pipes. I wanted the
> grey interior and could only get it with the small pipes.
> At the Cleveland Show my car lost 2 points in the concours because of the
> small pipes. Would any owners of 1983cars with 17000 vins e-mail me with
> their vin #,interior color and tail pipe size. DMC Houston does not
believe
> my exhaust is original. If there are other strange things about label
decals
> please let me also know.
> My interior looks the same as #20064. I wish my wife would let me buy it.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom Griepenburg
> dmc17168@xxxx

> Message: 6
> Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:36:50 EDT
> From: gullwing99@xxxx
> Subject: cooling fan question
>
> Hello all,
> My wife and I took the D out for a nice Sunday drive this past weekend.
we
> [...]
> especially
> the rear taillight blackouts-too cool! I'm not wanting too turn it into
> another car,
> just slightly improve on the looks, not that I'm complaining though!
>
> Also, WHO owns the RED D that has re-engineered the interior and
> replaced it with red cloth (?) and swapped the steering wheel with a
> plane-cockpit type of steering wheel (half-wheel type). It is SO
> awesome!
>
> Basically, if you're a customizer, please e-mail me privately. I would
> love to
> talk to you and discuss the processes and expenses required to do such
> feats.
>
> Thank You All,
> Robert G.
> Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

> Message: 9
> Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:31:35 -0500
> From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude@xxxx>
> Subject: Slightly Damaged RFP For Sale
>
> Hi Group,
> I paid about $1700 for a right front panel as a peice of memorabilia,
> the person who previously owned it had no use of it, for it had set in
> the garage for about 10 years before I got it. I cleaned it up, polished
> it, meade it shine like new, as put it where I could see it everyday. You
> could call it my little DeLorean "shrine".....anyway, my Mom wants me to
get
> rid of it because it takes up too much room inside the house so, I am
offering it
> to you, my fellow DMLers. The only thing wrong with it is that the front
part
> where the fascia meets the panel and bolts on has been bent, the owner
said it
> happened back in '86 when an old woman in a Caddy changed lanes and swiped
the
> front. Nothing too serious..someone who knew how to heat stainless
properly or
> knows someone who does could probably mold this back into shape, and then
> re-install the black strip (it's been removed somewhere down the years).
>
> So, if anyone is interested in having a spare that you can play with (and
possibly
> use if you needed to), please e-mail me privately. All offers will be
considered.
> Buyer to pay S&H.
>
> Thaks in Advance,
> Robert G.
> PS-What I recieve will go into my DeLorean funds! : )
> Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

> Message: 10
> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 00:35:56 -0400
> From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxx>
> Subject: Re: Re: Changing front and rear springs
>
> Steve,
>
> I think it would be advisable to include the following warning when
addressing spring replacement.

> DANGER! When removing or replacing coil springs, improper use of coil
spring compressors can cause the spring to be propelled out of its mounting
position with LETHAL FORCE. (Auto Service and Repair publishers
Goodheart-Willcox Co.)

> "We're here to help you"
>
> DMC Help / De Lorean Services / <dmchelp@xxxx>
> Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

design engineers had in mind when they wired in the hot start relay because
no such relay exists. The socket has three connections, three less than
required to allow such a circuit to function. If you carefully study the
schematic wiring diagram you will see what I mean.

> "We're here to help you"
>
> DMC Help / De Lorean Services / <dmchelp@xxxx>
> Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

Miami,
> [...]
> items instead of the factory simultaneous method.
>

> gullwing99@xxxx wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > AC on,,,are they suppose to stay on or do they come on and off,,,,,mine
are
> > going on and off,,,if they are suppose to stay on while the AC is on
what is
> > the problem,,,,,,if they are not suppose to,,,,,,thanks anyway

> Message: 16
> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:12:57 -0400
> From: Mike Substelny <msubstel@xxxx>
> Subject: Re: Customizing the DeLorean
>
> Robert Greenhaw wrote:
>
> > [SNIP]
> > Also, WHO owns the RED D that has re-engineered the interior and
> > replaced it with red cloth (?) and swapped the steering wheel with a
> > plane-cockpit type of steering wheel (half-wheel type). It is SO
> > awesome!
>
> The radically customized DeLorean has only made two public appearances: at
> Ken Koncelik's shows in Cincinnati and Cleveland. It belongs to Curtiss
> Bryant in Ohio. He is not on the Internet, and even Ken has trouble
> reaching Curtiss.
>
> The other red car with the ground effects is perhaps the most award-laden
> DeLorean in the world: Dave Colley's custom DeLorean. Unfortunately he is
> also not on the Internet. Dave's beautiful car is for sale, if you are
> interested.
>
> - Mike Substelny

> Message: 17
> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:19:23 -0400
> From: Marc A Levy <malevy@xxxx>
> Subject: Re: Customizing the DeLorean
>
> This car is owned by Curtis Bryant. VIN 10159 (I think).
>
> The steering wheel is a stock DeLorean wheel that has been cut. The
> center area (where the horn would be on a regular car) has been covered
> with cloth, and a calculator installed. The top part of the wheel that
> was cut has what looks like after market 5 speed shifter handles on
> top. He has the same handle on his shifter.
>
> I do not think Curtis is on the internet yet, but Ken has been able to
> get him to both of his DeLorean Car Shows. I hope to see Curtis again
> in Memphis, he is a friendly guy who definitely adds excitement to the
> marquee even if his car is not quite your style.
>
> I have a few pictures of his car from 1998 at
> http://remus.rutgers.edu/~mxl/dmc/cinn/cin.html
>

> Robert Greenhaw wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > Also, WHO owns the RED D that has re-engineered the interior and
> > replaced it with red cloth (?) and swapped the steering wheel with a
> > plane-cockpit type of steering wheel (half-wheel type). It is SO
> > awesome!
> <SNIP>

> Message: 18
> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:10:25 EDT
> From: johnmidd1@xxxx
> Subject: Re: celebrity DeLorean owners-more Leave it to Beaver
>
> Also, on the New Leave it to Beaver show of the 1980s, Beavers friend
Gilbert
> drove a DeLorean!!
>
> MODERATOR NOTE: This has been amusing, but unless someone has information
that ties it all together the thread ends with this message.

> [...]
> have to be compressed to the point where the spring may start
> to "buckle" under the stress and will/could pop off the tools and
> cause some serious injury. Again...Be VERY carefull when changing
> them. It's advisable to let a professional do it that way you won't
> get hurt and you won't damage your D in the process.
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxx> wrote:
> > Steve,
> >
> > I think it would be advisable to include the following warning
> when addressing spring replacement.
> >
> > DANGER! When removing or replacing coil springs, improper use
> of coil spring compressors can cause the spring to be propelled out
> of its mounting position with LETHAL FORCE. (Auto Service and Repair
> publishers Goodheart-Willcox Co.)
> >
> > "We're here to help you"
> >
> > DMC Help / De Lorean Services / <dmchelp@xxxx>
> > Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

> Message: 22
> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:46:38 +0200 (DST)
> From: "Sacha Prins" <sprins@xxxx>
> Subject: Canadian DeLoreans
>

> Hi,
>
> I'm the proud owner of #17115. It was transported from Canada to the
> Netherlands aprox. 3.5 years ago. It has the double lean exhaust pipes,
> straight hood (no flap) and metric gauges. Other than that I don't know
> what to look for, I haven't been able to compare it to another DeLorean
> yet.
>
> Sacha
>

> On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:11:22 -0600, James Espey wrote:
>
> > It's generally thought that the Canadian market DeLoreans are the
> > 17000 series VINs. They are generally identified by the presence of a
> > metric dominant instrument cluster - is anyone aware of any other
> > significant differences?
> >
> > James

> Message: 23
> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:59:48 -0000
> From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano@xxxx>
> Subject: Questions on NOS Master Brake cyl
>
> I have a few questions about the NOS Master Brake Cylinders. Is it
> advisable to buy them? I mean they have been sitting around for about
> 20 years, wouldn't the seals have dried out? The bore be pitted by
> mositure? I don't know how they were pakaged, if they had any type of
> protective lubricant applied to them, etc. Would it be better to buy
> the aftermarket type from one of the Delorean Dealers? I heard that
> the Newer type ones do not come with the switch, how true is this?
> Also does anyone know the make and the part number of the aftermarket
> type Master Brake cyinders that will work in the Delorean without
> having to change the calipers to match it?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Steve

> Message: 24
> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 11:37:07 -0400
> From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxx>
> Subject: Re: Hot Start
>
> John,
>
> Not to put a damper on your offer of Hot Start Relays but as I noted in an
earlier post there is no Hot Start Relay. I would be very interested in a
description of this relay and how it functions.

> "We're here to help you"
>
> DMC Help / De Lorean Services / <dmchelp@xxxx>
> Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

procedure. If the cable broke outside of the outer cable, replacement will
be relatively easy. If the cable broke inside the outer cable it would be
best to replace the entire unit; i.e.: Inner and outer. This will involve
removal of the center console.

> The cables are available in 130" and 140". Inner core replacements are
priced at $19.45. If the outer and inner sections need to be replaced they
are priced at $83.50, ask for part number 100485.