Re: Question about engine selection

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxx> wrote:
> The PRV-6 which met the physical requirements and was well proven
>for reliability was already US certified due to its Volvo and Peugeot
>applications. The EPA only required a 5k mile certification run for
>approval in the DeLorean which meant that they could get the car into
>production in a timely manner.

I would also suspect that the "reversible" nature of the off-the-
shelf transmission being used (i.e. front or rear drive selectable by
flipping over the ring gear assembly) had something to do with it, I
do not believe that the transmission/engine mate-up design was unique
to the DeLorean application. In other words, to use this
transmission the choice of engines was very limited. There are not
very many rear-drive transaxle designs around, seems to me a Porsche
design would have been about the only alternative at the time and
would have dictated a different kind of engine or some sort of
adapter. And probably cost more.