Delco Alternator wiring in detail! (was Delco Alternator wiring)

Delco Alternator wiring in detail! (was Delco Alternator wiring)

This is a long one, sorry!
Ok all, here's how to wire up your new Delco Alternator.

Note: when splicing the wires for the alternator replacement plug,
use heat shrink tubing for insulation and solder the wire's together.
Do not rely on crimped splicing connectors or electrical tape. For
some added protection, before applying the heat shrink tubing, coat
the bare wires with some dielectric tune up grease (same you use on
the spark plug wires) then slip the tubing over it. That way no
moisture will get in and corode the wires. I am not going to refer to
wire color on the Delorean harness since the colors vary (for some
reason) from car to car. I will refer to what they were connected to
or how to find them using a volt meter.

If you are replacing a Ducellier:
After installing the Delco unit and the pigtail adapter for the
Alternator, take the Red Sense wire (it will have an "S" stamped on
the black plastic housing of the plug on the pigtail) from the Delco
and splice it to the wire that came off of your Ducellier wire from
the "+" (stamped on the black plastic casing on the Alternator)
connector. It is the smaller connector. Now take the Lamp wire (again
marked on the black plastic housing of the plug on the pigtail
as "L") from the Delco and splice it into the wire that came off
the "L" connector on the Ducellier (again stamped on the black
plastic casing on the Ducy Alternator as "L" ). It is VERY important
that you connect the sencse wire! If you do not, you can burn out
your alternator. If you are not sure which wire is what on the
Delorean wire harness going to the alternator, do the following:
Disconect the plug from the alternator, turn the ignition key to the
On position, DO NOT START THE CAR! Using a volt meter connect the
positive lead to one of the connectors. The connector that is reading
the battery voltage is your "Sense" wire. Also if you have someone
turn the key to the off position while holding the volt meter on that
connector, you should see no voltage.

If you're replacing a Motorolla alternator:
Connect the Lamp wire from the Delco to the Lamp wire on the Delorean
(single wire that was going to the Motorolla alternator) then solder
a Lug connector to the Sense wire on the Delco connector. Connect the
Sense wire with the Lug connector to the Battery post (where you are
connecting all the brown wires to) on the alternator. Failure to do
this will fry your new alternator. The sense wire needs to read the
battery voltage for proper charging. The Motorolla unit did not have
an external sense wire on it like the Ducellier because they were
monitoring the Battery voltage internally from the "B" post. If any
of you want to get fancy, you can get a high amp relay to click on
when the ignition key is in the on position, that will go from the
battery to the sense wire of the alternator that way there is only
battery voltage present at the sense wire only when the ignition is
in the on position. This is better if you store your car alot since
if there is constant voltage on the sense line with the car off,
there will be a small (very small, like milliamps) battery drain.

If any of you have further questions, or would like to see pictures
on how it's done, email me or visit my site at
www.dmcman.homestead.com. I will have pictures an detailed
explanation of the Sense wire, Alternator mounting plate
modifications and pictures of the new alternator along with part
numbers.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, "John Hervey" <dherv10@xxxx> wrote:
> Ralph,
> There are suddle differences in the wiring vs the books. My wire
> coming out of the wiring loom going to the alternator is
brown/white